Thursday, July 8, 2010

Where to start?


To search for missing pieces in a puzzle is so much harder than I had imagined. Being from a time and place where information is always on hand via the push of a button ... where does one start when the information you seek goes back to WWII?


Looking for family, names, documents that I know disappeared all those years ago when the places I need to see, visit and learn about were burnt to the ground in a time when people did such horrible to things to other people ....


A whole part of my family were there one minute and gone the next ... I have always wanted to find out more about my Grandfather's family to fill in the blanks, to find out if any way possible that someone in his family managed to escape from the horrible things that happened to them.


The question was always one of hope that maybe, just maybe one of them had been able to get out of their family home before the tragedy took place?


I feel an overwhelming need to look, to investigate, to do my best to find out if any of my Grandfather's family survived. We did try many years ago, however kept running into brick walls or dead ends.


Lately, it's been playing on my mind so much and the urge to do this has really been strong that I can no longer resist, so I've made a start and with head and heart endeavour to find out what I can about his family, my family, our family xx

Photograph: Images of Mariacka Street in Gdansk, Poland http://www.world-city-photos.org/free_photos/

No comments:

Post a Comment